Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mayonnaise Doesn't Suck! I promise!

Best Foods mayonnaise sucks.  So does Kraft.  I'd even go so far as to say that Hellman's is mediocre, and I hope that Jimmy John's will forgive me for that statement.  But Mayonnaise done right ROCKS!  If you don't believe me, go to Bruges Waffles and Frites in SLC and then get back to me.  You'll love it.

Europeans know what's up, and any good French chef will tell you that knowing how to make a good Mayonnaise is the basis for literally thousands of recipes.  When I was in Romania recently I made Salata de Beouf with my favorite Romanian Grandma.  It's essentially potato salad but with a crazy tangy mayonnaise for the base.  And yes, yours truly made the Mayo.

Two weeks later when I got home I tried to make it for a 4th of July BBQ.  Epic Fail.  So in honoring the ever important Mayonnaise, here is a video with old Gordon Ramsay himself (I think he was on crack when he filmed this) teaching us how to make Mayonnaise our friend!


Give it a try, and mix in some chipotle, or roasted garlic and red peppers, or whatever your heart desires.
Total cost for this recipe: LESS THAN $2.00.  Peasants Unite!

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention two things, and so did Gordon:
    1. To make mayo, your ingredients need to be at room temperature.
    2. The oil he refers to is the British way of saying peanut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you make different flavored mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Sure Can! Bruges in Salt Lake has 7 or 8 different flavors. They are great for dipping fry's in. Or using for the base of foods that regular Mayo just doesn't do justice to.

    ReplyDelete