Sunday, July 31, 2011

Peculiar Food for a Peculiar People: What's with Mormon Cuisine?

Before we get into all of the weird culinary combinations that Mormon's are renowned for, I'd like to give my fellow peasants something to think about.

Have you ever thought about how many of the foods you love are foods of necessity and convenience rather than foods of luxury.  Take, for example, tortillas.  Cheap enough to feed whole families without breaking the bank, easy, keep for a long time, no need for any leavening agent.  Yet we use them for recipe after recipe!  Chicken noodle soup is another example.  Most of us would rather eat a whole roasted chicken, I'm sure.  But what to do with the rest of that carcass...BAM...chicken noodle soup.  Cheap, convenient, wholesome foods have become staples of our culinary world, as well they should.

That's why I'm going to give my Mormon Forebears a pass.  I'm going to assume that many of the foods listed below were thought up out of convenience, necessity, or both.  I'm sure Utah mothers in the '40's were limited in their culinary options as their husbands were fighting for our freedom.  Make do or do without!!  So, without further delay, here are some of the Mormon recipes that I have always thought were a little bit crazy.  We'll move from less weird to more weird.

(Brief side note:  I really do like many of these foods, but that doesn't mean they're not weird.)

This first one isn't overly weird, I just think It's a disgrace to quality Mexican food:
THE CREAM OF CHICKEN/SOUR CREAM ENCHILADA.  


I'm all about fusion cuisine...but Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup does not fall into that category.   SORRY.

Next: TATER TOT CASSEROLE


I feel like the picture here says it all, but I have to make one more observation.  THIS HAS TO HAVE BEEN MADE FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT TEETH!  Everything in it is already ground up for you, all you have to do is gum it, swallow, and digest!  Ground beef, ground (and then put back together) potatoes, shredded (almost ground) cheese!


This is the last one that I'm going to share, becuase I want you to comment below and share your favorite weird Mormon guilty pleasure.

The world famous Jello Salad?/Somethingthatisthecolorandtextureofvomit

Specimen #1

Specimen #2

Specimen #3

I really don't know what to say. . . Seriously. . . there are no words to describe what I feel about jello "salads." Help me out with your comments.

Speaking of comments, let me know what your favorite, or most repulsive, Mormon food guilty pleasure is.  The commenter that leaves what I, at my sole discretion, deem the oddest concoction, will be the beneficiary of the Key Lime pie recipe post coming later this week!  The only rule is that you have to have actually seen the concoction at a pot-luck or ward event.

Ready, set, GO PEASANTS!

7 comments:

  1. Sister Acey's Casserole (also known as Sausage Beef Casserole): sausage, chicken noodle soup (purchased in the box), ground beef, celery, onion, rice, salad macarroni noodles, and served with soy sauce.

    FYI: This is not a guilty pleasure, it is a meal that my mom would make for us, her mom made it and was given the recipe from Sister Acey. I'm not sure if it has been present at a pot-luck or ward event, but it is probably better that way.

    I just couldn't resist posting this "recipe" because, well, it is repulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feelings about Utah Mormon food having grown up in Utah but not with that kind of food in my house. My mom is from El Salvador and as such she only knows how to cook from her own country. I always looked forward to ward activities and other mormon gatherings because I got to try foods that were so different then I was used to. I think some of them are great! For example, I love funeral potatoes! I think they are delicious and I wish I knew how to make them. I also love jello salad! I never got to eat jello at home. Brownies, chocolate chip cookies, potato and macaroni salad, spaghetti; theses are all different foods that I only got to try at special occasions. Mormon food is cultural food and is exotic to those who weren´t raised on it, like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Don't laugh, but can I have some these recipes? Specifically, I remember eating some sort of rasberry jello with cottage cheese salad thing at a ward activity once and I thought it was divine! I don't know what its called, but if anyone knows and could share, I'd appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jello, cassarolls, funeral potatoes, cream of chicken enchiladas (blah). None of these sound or taste delicious but seem to be a common stereotype of Mormon food. Lately though my Utah raised roommate has been sharing what she calls her "home comfort foods," which I could throw into this Mormon food category. Surprisingly enough a few werent too bad, a little on the bland side, but not too bad. rlio111 was right though in saying that these are diffinitely cultural foods and should be appreciated as such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rlioIII- recipe for that is probably the jello dry mix (whichever flavor you desire), a tub of whippped topping, and a container of cottage cheese. Just mix to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The things people put into green jello is frankly...disgusting. Worst ever though, tuna fish! I kid you not! Tuna fish, cheddar cheese and carrots. Can you say gag?!? I can... every time I think about it. I generally avoid jello salads at ward functions/neighborhood or family parties unless I know and trust the person responsible. Another nasty thing, my neighbor (very old, I blame it on that) once made a ham loaf. She was very proud about it (as she is about most things) it was awful. Some kind of spin off a meat loaf only with ground up ham (could have been spam) and all sorts of other unknowns. Once again, gag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I could seriously not LIVE without most of these Mormon foods. I LOVE them!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete