Saturday, July 30, 2011

One of VERY FEW reasons to get up early on Saturday!

Since the demise of the Saturday Morning Cartoon I haven't had much reason to get up early on Saturday mornings.  Maybe for a trip to the lake or a longer bike ride that would be intolerable in the heat...maybe.

There is one other "best part of waking up" that I get excited for though, and it's not Folgers.

BOUNTIFUL BASKETS!




Bountiful Baskets is a co-op (that's right, nobody is benefitting except everyone that participates) that, for now, is mostly in the western United States.  Through a series of regional growers, volunteers, etc., BB has created a network that enables you to get fresh quality produce for a good price.  I've found it to be a step above your average grocery store produce.

How much?  The above spread is a typical example of what you would get in a weekly basket, and it cost $15.  The price is the same every week, although the produce may vary.  BB's website states that each basket typically contains around $50 of grocery store priced produce, and I don't think that's a stretch at all.  I was at Albertson's and Gala apples like the ones above were $1.99/lb.  I estimate that the apples alone above would cost $6.  Throw in grocery store prices of $3 cantaloupe, $3 grapes, and $3 combined for celery and lettuce, and you've got a slew of free apricots, beans, bananas, tomatoes, and broccoli.

While I still feel farmers markets are the best way to get great produce, Bountiful Baskets has more locations and is a great price for great produce.  Give it a try if you don't have fresh fruit and vegetable markets in your city.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pat, I did a post on my blog about Bountiful Baskets awhile back:
    http://mattandavree.blogspot.com/2010/05/bountiful-baskets.html
    Since I'm a dietitian nerd I priced all the items at Wal-Mart (cheapest/worst produce in Cache Valley) and it would have cost ~$43. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete